. .



The "Lodhi Garden" is famous for its ecology and heritage and serves as 'Green Lung for Delhi' and is the preferred spot for locals for their daily exercises.The main attractions of the park are its historical tombs and bridge.

The tombs of the Sayyid and Lodi dynasty, dating back to the 15th and 16th century, once stood in a village on the outskirts of Delhi.

In 1936, the British resettled the villagers to create a lush-green park around the tombs. The British even named the park as Lady Willington Park. The park was renamed after independence as Lodhi Gardens.

In 1968, it was again re-landscaped by JA Stein and Garrett Eckbo.

Since 2005, INTACH and Archeological Survey of India ( ASI ) organizes heritage walks for students and general public within the park area, which has become a favorite with morning walkers and yoga enthusiasts. It is also a popular picnic spot for the residents of New Delhi. INTACH has made available a small booklet, offering information about park's history, and the monuments, birds and trees within the complex.

In 2009, Archaeological Survey of India ( ASI ) awarded the restoration project of five monuments with the garden in phases and INTACH Delhi Chapter, starting with the Bara Gumbad, Sheesh Gumbad and Muhammad Shah's Tomb, after conservation report for the sites were being prepared since 2007. The MoU of Rs 1 crore, first phase of the project funded by Steel Authority of India Ltd. ( SAIL ) was signed in 2005, initiating the process of conservation in which structural work began in 2009.